Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz


4 of 5 stars

I'm a sucker for reading reviews before I actually read a book. I need to know what other people thought before I dive into something. One thing I saw with Spellbound, and other books recently, is that they are being compared to Twilight. Now, I'll admit there are a few I've read that read like a fanfic it was so bad I wondered if the author hadn't just did a cut and paste of character names. But when I come across a story that I don't feel has any symbolance to Twilight, I get discouraged. Spellbound is one of those books. Yes, there is boy meets girl. Boy is "bad" and is not good for girl. A secret is being withheld and they aren't right for one another. Okay, so who says that Stefanie Meyer has the monopoly of writing that kind of storyline? She doesn't, and many authors did it before her and many will do it after.

This book is about Emma and Brenden and an age old love story. Rich man falls for poor girl. They marry, have children, woman is murdered because she's not of nobility. And every generation the cycle repeats. And this is how Emma and Brenden find one another. In order to stay together, they must break the spell.

It's a good book in that there are twists and turns every where. When it ended, I thought, this was a nice little ending but...what happened to...?

There will be a second book and I wonder if we'll find out what happened to the "murderer" that was after Emma.


No comments:

Post a Comment