Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I've read & now I've reviewed... Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

3 of 5 stars

I had really high hopes for this book after seeing so many great things about it. Sadly? It didn't live up to the hype I had built up for it in my head.

So we start with Evie. And yeah, I'll admit, I like the name for reasons totally unrelated to this book. She's a 16 year old employee for the ICPC which is pretty much, a paranormal center that tracks or in Evie's case, bags and tags, paranormals. She's sent out to bring back vampires, werewolves, hags (seriously...creepy) and give them a place to work and live so that they are not a danger to humans. In the meantime, there is this fairy who happens to be her ex-boyfriend and a mermaid that is her best friend. Let's back up to the ex-boyfriend. Even though he's described as that, I never got the feel that they were ever boyfriend/girlfriend. Maybe it's because he had a higher purpose for Evie or maybe because she never really talked about things that they did together other than that when he touched her or talked to her she was filled with this warmth. And with that being said, it brings me to my biggest problem with this book. It's all about Evie. Which is okay. She's the heroine; it's her story to tell, I just wanted more from the others. And don't get me started on how she named every single "sigh" that came out of her mentor/caregiver Raquel's mouth. It kind of distracted me from the overall story.

Moving on, we meet Lend. As in Lend me your ear and I'll sing you a song. Actually, more like, Lend me your face and I'll duplicate it for you. He's captured by Evie of all people and brought to the center but he won't answer any questions about who he is or how he got in the center. Until, paranormals begin showing up dead and the person resposible comes for Evie. This is where the book really starts to pick up. Of course, it was right at that half way point and even then, it all felt a little anti-climatic. Until the end of the book when, like most prom nights, things just get weird. Literally. It all happens at the prom.

Here's my problem. There is a sequel. I have it open on my Nook but I'm not chomping at the bit to read it. I think my biggest set back is that the last three books I've read were adult contemporary and now that I'm back in YA PR, I'm having trouble really loving anything I read. But then again, that's just my problem.

1 comment:

  1. How hard was it for you to type Evie instead of Evy throughout this review!! lol It would have been impossible for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete