Wednesday, January 18, 2012

All of the cute and fluffy bunnies of the world

I might have mentioned once or twice how I wrote this book. And that this book has been in the hands of someone who has read and provided feedback, corrected my misuse of the comma, and made little red marks all over my word doc. Well, this book is now back in my hands and they are shaking.



Why? They're my words. I've read them. Hell, I wrote them. I know what they say. So why am I so nervous and hesitant to begin edits?

I've decided to take it a chapter a day. Every day I will make notes and edit a chapter. It'll take about a month to do this, but I think it'll be the best for me. This way I'm not burned out reading my own story and I can give myself a break from reading one thing to the next. Does that make sense? It doesn't matter. It's my own little system that I've devised.

And on top of editing this book, there is the other issue of plot bunnies invading my brain. They start off all cute and cuddly.

Aww! Look at the bunnies in the coffee cups! Makes you want to pick them up and cuddle them so close their little noses keep moving a mile a minute.

So sure, they're all cute right now. Like a fresh new idea that is so amazing it smells like a brand new car. Until...

They look like this.


And you know something is going on. They're corralling you, mocking you; roping you into their idea. Singing happy songs that make you want to drop everything and start focusing on this one little idea. It's like they know you have other things you need to be doing, but they don't care, because behind your back, they're doing this...


Laughing at you for dropping everything to focus on pretty pictures and form ideas so that you write pages and pages of notes. And when you've written your notes and played nice with the bunnies, you take matters back into your own hands.

HAHAHAHA!

While I appreciate the bunnies stopping by the play, I need them to leave when it's their time to go. And now that I have my story back and it needs editing, I need the bunnies to move along. I humored them. I wrote down the idea they helped me plot. But now? It's best to move along and multiply in someone else's head. 


No comments:

Post a Comment