Thursday, January 6, 2011

Living in a fantasy world might actually pay off

John Lennon once sang, "Some may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." This quote holds very true to me. I've always been a dreamer; for as long as I can remember. My friends would joke and say that I lived in a fantasy world. This is true. I'm not a realist. I like to think that the world is full of sunshines and rainbows and that everyone gets their happy ever after. Of course, I'm not stupid enough to believe that this is actually the case. I know better than that, but I think being a dreamer has worked for my advantage and helped set the creative imagination into the world of writing a novel that I am about to embark on.

Yes, it's a new year and I've got a new attitude. I'm writing a book.

Am I scared? Terrified.
Am I ready? Perhaps.
Am I determined to see this thing through? Absolutley.

I have my plot. My characters are starting to come together in my head. The scenes are starting to appear to me. I'm ready for this. I can do this. Or can I?

The answer to that is yes, I can do this and I will!

I participated in NaNoWriMo this past November and I won! My first year and I actually wrote 50,000. Not to gloat, but I actually wrote them in 18 days! To say I was proud of myself would be an understatement. I had my cast and crew all set. It was outlined out to a tee and the words jumped from my head on to paper, well, my laptop. Does the story resemble anything worth a dime right now? Not in the slightest. I've gone through, making edits and to be honest, there are things I wrote that I have no idea what I was trying to say. But that wasn't the point of NaNo. "Quantity- not quality". I finished and I won and that's all that matters to me.

Now I have an idea for something that I think is really good and it's begging to get out of my head. Whether it actually goes any where is beside the point. The satisfaction of knowing that I wrote a book. Me! Little 'ol me who spends her days working eight hours, comes home to chase a toddler around the house while putting up with my husbands insane football obsession. Yes me! One can only hope that it does go somewhere. Somewhere big! Somewhere that will be recognized. But, that all goes back to Mr. John Lennon.

"Some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

Holly

1 comment:

  1. You are most certainly NOT the only one! I'm a proverbial dreamer too, and you know what? I like that about me. They might not all come true, but some of them will.

    How exciting is it to be doing this? Like really doing it? I'm giddy! And I love having someone in the trenches with me :)

    I think these cheerleading phone calls need to be a regular thing. We're going to need it!

    Congratulations on starting and on the progress you've made so far. You're an inspiration, Holly!

    Love, Bec

    ReplyDelete