Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Can you explain that again in stupid people's terminology?

I've been doing a considerable amount of research on third person. Is it subject, limited, omniscient? I'm still figuring that one out. Although, one article I read said that if I can determine certain aspects of my story then I'll be able to figure out what to use. Let's look at those, shall we?

Grammatical number wiki says...
In linguistics, grammatical number is a grammatical category of nouns, pronouns, and adjective and verb agreement that expresses count distinctions (such as "one", "two", or "three or more").[1]
The count distinctions typically, but not always, correspond to the actual count of the referents of the marked noun or pronoun.
The word "number" is also used in linguistics to describe the distinction between certain grammatical aspects that indicate the number of times an event occurs, such as the semelfactive aspect, the iterative aspect, etc
What? Moving on.

Grammatical tense I got this one. Past, present, or future. For me, I think it's going to be past. No, no thinking. I know it will be.

Author obtrusiveness more info regarding this subject is still being researched. Seems google is unaware, as am I, of what this is.

Narrator omniscience  this is via answers.com
an ‘all‐knowing’ kind of narrator very commonly found in works of fiction written as third‐person narratives. The omniscient narrator has a full knowledge of the story's events and of the motives and unspoken thoughts of the various characters. He or she will also be capable of describing events happening simultaneously in different places—a capacity not normally available tothe limited point of view of first‐person narratives. See also intrusive narrator.
So, is this a yes or no question? If it is, then yes. My narrator will be omniscient

Narrator reliablity see this website- http://faculty.smu.edu/cwsmith/Reliable%20and%20Unreliable%20Narrators.htm

It's too much for me to type but it's pretty straight forward for me to comprehend. But then again, I'm still kind of lost.

Point-of-view character again, per wiki
the character by whom the story is viewed. The point-of-view character may or may not also be the main character in the story.

So...is this asking me what point of view the voice will be from?

Reader involvement  someone asked this question to one of the experts on allexperts.com
I have two questions. I saw that you are familiar with subtext. Would you explain what this is and why it should be used in fiction?


Also, since you are familar with submitting manuscripts, I want to know if it is absoutely necessary to write in courier or new courier. I am writng in times new roman.

Thanks
.

This is the reply.

A long answer to a short question, because you not only asked what subtext is, but also, "why" is should be used.  The "why" requires a long answer.  So, here goes!  This is a piece of one of my lectures:

"...So, where I left off is that I don't care about the characters in our story concept; I'm uninvolved.
    How do we inject reader involvement into a story concept?  We provide an element to be discovered: theme.  How is theme discovered?  We write around it, pointing toward it.  We request readers see beyond what we've written, and this seeing beyond, this road to theme is called subtext.    But the question remains, how do we induce readers to discover this new way of seeing?  In the above concept, the story's challenges exist only on the physical level.  Multiple level challenges – physical, mental, spiritual, philosophical, and moral – demand characters with depth.  Characters who think, feel, and act using depth create situations in which readers find themselves calling their own values into play.  Readers pass judgments based on their discovery of an evolving character and their uncovering of the underlying story; the reader is the subtext.  Manipulate the reader's self-awareness, and you have created subtext or unleashed it.  This an important reality check, and if you don't grasp it here and now, you will not make it as a writer; no matter how much effort you expend, no story exists until the reader or viewer brings something of their own innate quality to bear upon the story.  Writing is a manipulative, cooperative act.  Human beings judge one another, and unless you understand the fine points of subtext explained above - manipulating your audience's judgment - no publishing professional or film production professional is going to give a rat's behind about the project you slaved over.
    Fine fiction, whether it is the novel, screenplay, or short story, involves readers by allowing them to achieve a sense of personal discovery. ..."


Again, I think I've got a lot to read up on. For me, I just write. I just let the words flow. However, I don't think that method is going to get me my dream winter home in Breckinridge, CO. It's not going to make me a New York Times best selling author.

*sigh* I have lots to learn. I wish I had paid better attention in English.

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment