Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Come and Knock on my Door

"Come and knock on my door..."

Yeah, so it's not so much that the Three's Company theme is rolling around in my head, but something else is. I haven't even begun writing the actual novel part of my book. I'm still in "research" mode. But guess what should happen to me? Another idea for a book. Do I have the time? No. Do I like this idea? Yes. What will I do? Make notes and file them away so that I can properly give it the attention that it deserves.

And so it seems that while still in my "research" phase, I've stumbled upon some new methods. Well, new to me at least.

I follow a new up and coming novelist on twitter- @megan_shepherd and something she tweeted this past week set off a light bulb for me. It was one of those moments that I said, "I can do that?"

She was talking about the editing of her book and how she was going to have to go back and do research for certain areas due to the notes she had made along the way.

Stop the presses! That's when I went, I can do that? I mean, I can write what I want and make notes in certain areas that need additional research? Wow. I'm the type of person that researches, makes notes all prior to beginning a book. But this idea? Wow, really something I'm considering giving a go.

While I know that I will need to know and understand a certain aspect of the information I am writing about, it still amazes me that I can skip over parts and come back to them. Maybe it's the neurotic side of my brain that thinks I must do things in order. Even before this book I was in a constant state of, no I can't write that chapter yet even though I know exactly how it's going to play out because I'm only on chapter 4 and that's chapter 24.

So yeah, I hit a breakthrough and one that I must say, I'm eager to try. Then again, all you published authors may be sitting back laughing at me right now. Thinking to yourselves, Oh dear. Just you wait until you get to the actual editing process. Then you'll be screaming in frustration.

Of course, the great purpose of a blog is to record the ups and downs I'm experiencing. I think limited research and going back during edits is a great way to document those ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment