Monday, March 5, 2012

Anew (The Archers of Avalon #1) by Chelsea Fine

4 of 5 stars

I came across this book via another friend adding it to her "to be read" list on Goodreads. Once I read the blurb-

Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her.

I wanted to read it. Then said friend, Michelle, sent me a message saying, "Hi Holly, If you go to the authors blog today only you can request a free copy for review: http://www.chelseafinebooks.com/"

Um...duh. Like I'm going to pass up a free book. So I went to the website and requested a copy of the book. Let me say that authors that do this are pretty extrordinary. I mean, you're giving me a copy of your book to read? How awesome is that! And not only that, Chelsea is soooo sweet! She emailed me a copy with in like twenty minutes of requesting one, and she was so friendly that I instantly wanted to be friends with her. That's normal right? I hope so.

Here's the inital review I gave Anew on Goodreads.

What?! It ends there!!!! A better review to come after I've picked my jaw up from the floor.

Once I was able to put into words what I thought about the jaw dropping ending, this is what I said.

There's Scarlett. She has no memory of her life except for the last two years. Weird, right? Then there is Scarlett's best friend, Heather. Heather is your typical BFF. She's a girls girl. The story starts off at the annual kissing festival in their hometown of Avalon, Georgia. Here the girls meet Gabriel. A fine speciman of a man. Instant attraction between him and Scarlett and before you know it, BAM! they're a couple. It's really cute how they are and how Heather is convinced he's into all sorts of trouble, like he's a mobster. Unknown to the girls, who they're actually seeing is Tristan; Gabriel's twin brother. DUN DUN DUN

Tristan from the get go puts on this front like he can't stand Scarlett. But really, it pains him to be near her and away from her. All because of a curse. A curse meant to kill Scarlett but Tristan took the arrow for her (kind of) and now, all three of them are cursed. Oh yeah, I didn't mention that in previous lives they all know each other? Maybe I shouldn't say too much more on that.

Although, to cure them all, they must find the fountain of youth. The pure water from the fountain is the only thing, short of Tristan dying, that can save the trio. Problem? Where's the fountain?

A quirky cast of friends and brothers leave you asking so many more questions when you're done with the book, and after you've picked your jaw up from the floor. Yes, Ms. Fine does an outstanding job of leaving one hell of a cliffhanger. But like I said, I'm left wondering so much. What really was the connection between Tristan and Scarlett? What happened in her previous life for their connection to be so much stronger this go round? And why, or HOW does she "know"? And Chelsea, I think you know what I mean when I ask that.

If you're looking for the start of an exciting new series, one that in the first book leaves you bugged eyed, then pick up Anew. Not only because the author is a super gal, but because the book is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment